Newport is the county town of the island, located in the geographical centre of the island. The town has all the main stores that are found on the mainland, but is also home to independent stores.
Newport has not always been the capital of the island. Carisbrooke, Newports neighbour, was once the capital, run from Carisbrooke Castle.
Newport was also once the "hub" of the islands railway, but that ended in the 1950's when the lines where shut down, remains can be seen with the viaduct crossing the River Medina.
All major bus routes terminate at the main bus station
Newport Roman Villa
Museum of Island History